Wednesday 17 July 2013

Behind the scenes - pointe shoe makers

An ex-student of mine shared this link on Facebook and it brought back a million memories of excitement, pain, bloodied tights, 'breaking in', darning, fitting, higher vamps, combined soles, and so many, many more thoughts and feelings.

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/07/16/the-pointe-shoe-makers-of-hackney/

It's been many years since I wore point shoes but in all this time I never realised that the little symbols on the bottom were marks by the individual makers. I've just looked at a pair I've kept from my final show and would just like to say thank-you to the maker with the starburst mark who, along with countless others, gave me the opportunity to grow from 'wobbly pre-teen' into slightly more graceful student dancer...

S

No comments:

Post a Comment