Friday 1 November 2013

My Dictaphone and I - a narrative

My Dictaphone and I have become quite good friends. What initially started off as a professional relationship, with strict working conditions and regular working hours, has now become so much more.

We hang out together.
A lot.

In fact he goes everywhere with me.
He’s there when I need him - for support, for sharing ideas, and for those moments when I just need a good listener, which he is - a very good listener.


I suppose, if I'm honest,he can be a little cold at times; I mean a bit of discourse every now and then would be nice, but I can't complain, he has so many other wonderful qualities,

There’s no judgement and he certainly isn’t condescending, he just gives me the space and time I need to say what's on my mind. 
He's trustworthy, too, and reliable, but most importantly of all he doesn’t twist my words or make me out to have said something I didn’t.


Oh yeah, and he has such a great memory.

In fact this story wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for him.

 
 
 
A silly story, perhaps, but for me it's another trial/ reflection about how findings can be presented or constructed from inquiry data. In this case:
I originally bought my Dictaphone for the sole purpose of recording interviews
Between interviews it stayed in the bag with all the other interview paraphernalia
On a drive home after an interview one night (a couple of weeks ago) I had a thought that I didn't want to lose yet couldn't write down. So I dived into my interview bag, grabbed my voice recorder and captured my idea.
I then started to use him around the house if I wanted to jot down a quick idea that may or may not be of use.
Then yesterday and today he found his way into my handbag and I think that's where he'll stay. Yet another thing I can't leave the house without!

A practical form of data presentation? Not for me, this time. Too little time, too much data and an awareness of presenting student voices as individuals, and verbatim, not crafted into one tale of motivation.

However, it was definitely a fun little experiment!

S


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Sarah good story - funny - on a serious time related note - the best advice is to only translate the quotes that you need for your inquiry - the rest can remain in the oral form… thinking out loud is a good sign - liked the way you analysed and challenged during the Finalist surgery last week. I thought afterwards that I had been in 'argument' mode and was a bit sharp with 'redefining' your comments. Your comments on others work was useful - and should help as you begin to analyse your own inquiry. I have seen the beginning draft you sent - good to feel like progress is being made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula - thanks for your comment :) I didn't see things at the campus session as argument or sharp but really helpful in making me re-think or re-shape any thoughts I had. I also fully realise (and apologise for the fact) that I get rather carried away! It was such a great session; everybody had such brilliant inquiry topics and the passion for subjects was very infectious.

      Delete