Friday 15 November 2013

Update #3

Looking back over documents from Module 2 I have realised that although the design and manner of conduct of my inquiry have not changed much, I have!

It was when reading through my document Task 5d that I realised just how much my research and reading have altered and developed my thinking since before the summer.

My original title was only a proposed one due, to the shifting nature of an inquiry involving student perspectives and experiences, and has since become coloured by the literature that I have found to be most appropriate to my data. I am now suggesting the following (and even then it's still a working title):

A question of control: adolescent experience of motivation in the dance class
or
The quest for control: adolescent experiences of motivation in the dance class
 
The 'control' in the title referring to the theoretical concept of perceived control that is prevalent in many motivation theories, see, for example, self-determination theory (Ryan & Deci, 2000), particularly those associated with dance, sport and education.
It also refers to the notion of the teacher as controller or facilitator, and his/ her influence on the type of environment created in the dance studio (Miulli & Nordin-Bates, 2011; Nordin-Bates et al, 2012).
 
The fact that my title has altered also shows how, in my 'youth' of module 2 I was still broadly considering the topic of motivation, something that the 'older, wiser' module 3 me realises is beyond the scope of this inquiry. However, I can still see how much benefit there is for my practice in carrying on and developing a wider knowledge of motivation in dance, regardless of what I can present in my last assignment.
 
So, this inquiry definitely is just that - a work in progress; an opportunity to understand better to inform practice. And then? Well, there are so many thoughts keep cropping up:
  • Motivation through appropriate teaching styles, or the need to engage all types of learning so that no-one is de-motivated through misunderstanding, and how to adapt classes?
  • Teaching 'free work' for examinations - doesn't the verbal style of the examiner put visual or kinaesthetic learners at a serious disadvantage?
  • How, as teacher, do you balance the expectation of parents and employers with what you believe is the best approach to student development? Can this be done when working to a syllabus/ examination structure.
  • Can you be 'facilitator' with younger children or is there a need for a more controlling environment, or can you be too young to be self-motivated?
 
I'm so pleased that the topic area I chose, through careful reflection on journal entries and personal values or perhaps that just chose me, is continuing to open new avenues of thinking and opportunities for professional development. 
 
The future looks interesting...
 
S
 
 
References
 
Miulli, M., & Nordin-Bates, S. M. (2011). Motivational Climates: What they are, and why they matter. The IADMS bulletin for teachers (The International Association for Dance Medicine and Science), 3(2), 5-8.
Nordin-Bates, S. M., Quested, E., Walker, I. J., & Redding, E. (2012). Climate change in the dance studio: Findings from the UK centres for advanced training. Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology, 1(1), 3.
Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2000). Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being. American psychologist, 55(1), 68.
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Sarah it is fascinating to see that you too have manage to develop your inquiry much more through a slight change in your chosen title. As discussed in my blogs, by adding the word 'can' to my title has enabled me to have the opportunity to expand on my ideas, look further into reasoning and in all honesty, gives me the chance to have 'no right answer' for the end of it! I can now study and discuss several topics and branches out from my title all of which come together to produce an answer, there is no single, simple response so I am pleased to be able to explore a larger variety of options.
    Hope all is going well,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,
      It's great isn't it!
      I'm so glad that you've found the same thing :)
      I think that it is making the parameters of my module assignments seem really small and giving me a headache as I try to focus in on one of the many amazing areas I could happily write about but then that's what inquiry is about isn't it.
      I'm sure that my practice will benefit more from having too many questions than thinking I've got the final answer!
      It's going to be so interesting to hear other people's presentations and see where their initial question(s) took them
      As always, your blogs and comments are so engaging and insightful.
      Thanks again for commenting,
      S

      Delete