Wednesday 13 November 2013

Time out

A link on a friends facebook status took me to something that really makes me happy:
                     http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24922106
Not the price tag, that's a whole different debate, but the artist - Francis Bacon.

I've been a huge admirer of his work for many, many years as there is something in his paintings that really connects with me. He created works that are not only visually arresting to my eyes but that don't just sit on the canvas,
                    
                     passive,
                                            dead,
                                                                  just to be looked at briefly before moving on

There is a tension to his work that, when I am in the same room, makes real time stop and 'Bacon time' start. His beauty comes from distortion, his aesthetic from the ill-at-ease and out-of-place. There is emotion in the blankness of expression and context from the abstract.

Visiting his home in Dublin and the studio space he worked in - left as was, chaotic but somehow with everything in the right place, his inspiration strewn around the walls and floor - was such an insight into the man yet somehow you already knew exactly how it would be.

                                         (image taken from lisahebden.com)

Seeing his triptych up for sale reminded me of all that I love about Francis Bacon but also about how much of life I see reflected in his art; the tension of,

where I am now and where I want to be,
                                   
                               what I am doing and what I need to do,

                                                                 what I can control and what is beyond me,

who I am, who I want to be, who others think I am...



References

BBC News. 2013. Bacon painting fetches record price. [online] Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24922106 [Accessed: 13 Nov 2013

Hebden, L. 2009. The Man Who Painted Those Dreadful Pictures. Diary of a Painter & Compulsive Doodler, [blog] 3 November 2009, Available at: http://www.lisahebden.com/blog/?p=977 [Accessed: 13 Nov 2013].

No comments:

Post a Comment